auto-patching the system

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Sat Sep 27 12:52:18 PDT 2003

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 07:11:49PM +0200, Walter C. Pelissero wrote:
> I keep my src tree updated with cvsup, but I start to accumulate
> patches to kernel or programs that I'd like to include automatically
> each time I recompile the kernel (pretty often) or I do a "make world"
> (much less often).
>
> Those are usually patches that have been already put forward to the
> attention of the maintainers with a send-pr, but got forgotten or
> simply ignored possibly because considered not interesting.
>
> At the moment I simply manually copy the modified files into the
> source tree before recompiling, but, of course, next time I do a
> cvsup, the changes are gone, requiring me to repeat the process next
> time I compile (and likely forgetting some stuff).
>
> Is there already any pre-canned way to include those patches at
> compile time?  (A parallel source tree, for instance.)

There are probably more than one way to keep local patches to the
source, but the way I do it is:

Use cvsup to get a local copy of the whole cvs repository (instead of
just a checked out source tree).
Then use cvs to check out the source tree from the local repository.
Unlike cvsup, cvs knows how to handle local modifications.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se