Kernel Config won't start...

Andreas Kohn andreas.kohn at gmx.net
Sat Sep 27 10:33:19 PDT 2003

[please include the list, and do not send HTML mail]

On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 19:03, Enoch Chan wrote:
> Heh, that's funny.. I got that from the FAQ, which proves that it is a
> bit outdated.. lol. I have tried that anyway and it didn't work. So
> how can I start the kernel config tool described in the installation
> part of the manual?
> The wierd thing is that the manual says that the user should start the
> kernel config tool before installation, but it never tells us how...
> And then it just start talking about how to use it...

As I said before, the configuration editor of FreeBSD 4 is no longer
existant in FreeBSD 5.

Taken directly from
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-start.html

"Note: From FreeBSD versions 5.0 and later, userconfig has been
depreciated in favor of the new device.hints(5) method. For more
information on device.hints(5) please visit Section 7.5"

Please read that section if you think that you have to modify the
default settings. But the basic idea is that you do not have to modify
settings for most of the installs.

> Also, I have reinstalled FreeBSD like 10 times and still can't get X
> to work. It said it can't read extended io from /dev/io... I believe
> that might have something to do with the kernel config problem... I am
> not really sure about that. Can you help me on that too?? I posted the
> error log in the freebsd questions list before. If you can't find it,
> lemme know and I will send it to you right away!!! :)

Found by googling:
http://www.essenz.com/support/comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc/Oct/19/206982.html

Please try to lower your security level as described in the manual,
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/security.html#SECURELEVEL