FreeBSD,Linux and any other os besides Microsoft.

Micheal Patterson micheal at tsgincorporated.com
Mon Sep 22 20:23:08 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ajax Munroe" <ajaxmunroe at hotmail.com>
To: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 9:52 PM
Subject: FreeBSD,Linux and any other os besides Microsoft.

>       Hello,
>
>              I dont have a question but I would like to make a statement.
I downloaded Freebsd version 5.0 release
>              and unpacked it in great anticipation. I made a bootable CD
(the best I could, It's not as easy as making
>              a bootable windows CD) put the cd in my rom and found that
BSD is not for me. Look, Im not trying
>               to put BSD down or anything, I would love to have it on my
computer fully working so that I could
>               use something other than Windows! Im by no means bored with
Windows, I find new and exciting
>               things out with it all the time.I feel that im pretty
literate when it comes to computers, which brings
>               me to this: You people have to make a product that is just
slightly more user friendly.Cant you
>               think of a way to auto-mount your os like windows? Setting
up your os is like trying to work your
>               way through a jigsaw puzzle.(Windows even partitions your
drive for you) If someone expects to
>               challenge the makers of Windows they are going to have to
come up with a user friendly system
>                like Windows where you have an easy command format instead
of what your trying to do. I mean
>                come on, first you have to figure out what to partition the
drive in because you dont explain any
>                of this, then you have to mount everything,which is beyond
the average users comprehension,
>                then you have to figure out commands to pass along to the
kernel..etc...etc...etc. With Windows
>                all you do is stick in the disk and it's all pretty
straight forward from there on out.

>                Please, if you could just tell me of one of your systems
thats a little more user friendly I would
>                love to use it, and tell all my friends about it too so
that they can spread the word about the new
>                operating system thats fun and easy to use.

Your Friend;

AJAX

If you download the iso image and burn it, it turns out as a bootable cd. As
for the partitions, there is an option to autosize in the bottom menu
(unless it's been removed in 5.x). Even with Windows and multiple drives,
you have to tell it how large you want your partitions to be. FreeBSD is no
different in this respect. For most users, 2 slices are all that is
necessary. Root "/" and "swap". Swap is generally 2 x the amount of system
ram, the same as with Windows if you specify it and not allow Windows to
control it. I will admit, FreeBSD isn't for everyone, and you need to
understand it's basic function and be willing to learn more than you know
when you start. I've ran Solaris, OpenBSD, NetBSD, work with AIX, Slackware
Linux, Redhat Linux and a few others. I've always come back to FreeBSD
because of it's simplicity in installation and ease of system configuration.
Many of the other OS's that I've installed in my lifetime require you to
know the actual disk geometry in order to partition it properly, or at least
when I installed them they did. Meaning, if you didn't have the disk in your
hands, you had to tear the system down to get the info. I'm not meaning to
be insulting, but you'll probably find that anything other than Windows will
require a bit of study before you attempt to install it. It's the nature of
the beast. If you want to run a Windows server, it will cost you. If you
want to run exchange as a mail service, that will be an additional cost. If
you want to run a good quality, economical firewall for your network, that
cost you. You want to run mssql, that will also cost you. These items are
either included with the open source OS's or available as an addon and
usually at no additional cost. It just depends on which way  you're willing
to go. In the end, you'll do one of two things, 1) spend some time with the
available documentation and save yourself some money, or 2) spend that money
on the necessary Windows addons to do the same job. Everyone that is in this
list has made the same decision or is in the process of making that
decision. The outcomes will vary depending on the individual and their needs
and abilities.

--

Micheal Patterson
Network Administration