Spam and virus filter for mailserver

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Sep 22 08:40:55 PDT 2003

Daniela wrote:
[ ... ]
> What MTA would you recommend (sendmail is too insecure)?

The two main choices are probably postfix and qmail.

> Can I just put the mail in the respective user's home directory with
> fetchmail, and configure their MUA's to get mail from there? Or do I put it
> in /var/mail/<username>?

FreeBSD expects new mail to go in /var/mail/$USERNAME.  Per se, local delivery
is handled by the LDA (ie, procmail, /usr/libexec/mail.local), not by the MTA.

 > Can I run an MTA in a chroot environment with an unprivileged UID?

You can run an MTA in a chroot'ed environment.  The MTA needs to be started as
root, or setuid-root in order to bind to port 25, but can then drop privileges
afterwards.

--
-Chuck