Spam and virus filter for mailserver

Alin-Adrian Anton aanton at reversedhell.net
Sun Sep 21 15:42:43 PDT 2003

Daniela wrote:

>Hi!
>
>We have the following situation and don't know what to do:
>
>I have one POP3 account with alias adresses for the network clients, and every
>client configured the mailer not to get mail destined for the other clients.
>Now we get so much spam and viruses, and I decided to set up a mail server,
>recieve the mail for all the clients, and the clients get their mail from my
>mail server, keeping their current mail adresses.
>
>The clients run M$ Winblows eXPensive, so I need an antivirus program that
>runs on FreeBSD (should be free). Can anyone recommend a good mail reader
>that can fetch mail as a daemon, stores mail in a format readable by KMail or
>Evolution, and has a console interface (I don't run X often)? It should also
>be somehow able to put the mail in different folders based on the value of
>some headers.
>
>And what mail server should I use? It should be secure and not use up many
>resources (security has the highest priority).
>
>Is this stuff possible at all? Please help us.
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Daniela

I think qmail is the most suitable mail server. I think and many others
do, that it's the most secure and resource-saver mail server out there.
And it's free, of course, you'll find it in the ports.

Qmail-scanner is a virus scanner for qmail, but I do not recommend it,
concerning resources and security. The most lightweight filtering system
for qmail which comes to my mind seems to be qmail-qfilter (a small C
proggie), google for it and use it. See the sample scripts, one of them
filters any executable attachment, like .vbs,.etc... Add .scr, .pif and
.bat to them ;).

I use it and my 'new' qmail-queue file looks like this now (read the
docs, it is a script, hackish):
#!/bin/sh
exec /var/qmail/bin/qmail-qfilter /var/qmail/bin/filter1 --
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject -n

Where filter1 is a script which filters mail using the header details.

PS: parse the headers carefully ;)
Alin.