Can't find -ldl ...

Joe Sotham joe at dubium.com
Sat Sep 20 14:02:45 PDT 2003

I am trying to build resin on a FreeBSD 5.1-p2 release. This does not
appear to be a resin problem ...

I've modified the environment to search additional lib locations:
   LDFLAGS=-L/usr/compat/linux/lib -L/usr/local/lib

Yet the following compile fails because a library can't be found:

 gcc -L/usr/compat/linux/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o resin resin.o
   ../common/common.o std.o memory.o ssl_stub.o -lc_r -lssl
   -lcrypto -ldl

 /usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -ldl

Despite the library appearing to be located in the expected location:

#ls /usr/compat/linux/lib/
  <snip>
  libdl-2.2.4.so libdl.so.2
  <snip>

I didn't find any usefull hints in googlizing on
 "/usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find"

Any suggestions?

--
Joe Sotham