`top` process memory usage: SIZE vs RES

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Fri Sep 12 10:06:51 PDT 2003

Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Sep 12), Jesse Guardiani said:
>> Dan Nelson wrote:

>> > RES the amount of SIZE that it currently in core
>>
>> OK. To clarify, you mean core kernel memory here?
>> If so, how is that significant? Why should I care?
>>
>> In other words, why would I ever want to know that?
>
> core meaning physical memory; user memory in this case.

OK. And how does core, or user memory differ from SIZE memory
then? If X = SIZE - RES, where is X stored?

>  Processes can
> lock kernel memory, but there's no easy way of listing that (it's
> usually a small amount held in pipe or socket buffers and is
> short-lived). The name "core" came from when memory bits were ferrite
> rings magnetized by wires running through them.
>
> http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/core.html

Wow. That's a really cool bit of history. I don't quite understand
how a core is "switched", but I'm sure it must have worked.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,