`top` process memory usage: SIZE vs RES

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Fri Sep 12 09:39:57 PDT 2003

In the last episode (Sep 12), Jesse Guardiani said:
> Dan Nelson wrote:
> > In the last episode (Sep 11), Jesse Guardiani said:
> >
> >> 2.) What, exactly, is RES? `man top` describes it as this:
> >>     "RES is the current amount of resident memory", but does
> >>     that mean RES is included in SIZE? Or does that mean that
> >>     RES should be counted in addition to SIZE?
> >
> > RES the amount of SIZE that it currently in core
>
> OK. To clarify, you mean core kernel memory here?
> If so, how is that significant? Why should I care?
>
> In other words, why would I ever want to know that?

core meaning physical memory; user memory in this case.  Processes can
lock kernel memory, but there's no easy way of listing that (it's
usually a small amount held in pipe or socket buffers and is
short-lived). The name "core" came from when memory bits were ferrite
rings magnetized by wires running through them.

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/core.html

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com