Non working dvdrom drive.

subhro at softhome.net subhro at softhome.net
Tue Sep 2 22:46:29 PDT 2003

Hello People,
I have installed FreeBSD-4.8-stable on my Intel 815 chipset Pentium III box.
It has a hard drive (Seagate ST-340014A)jumpered as primary master and a
DVDROM (Asus E616) jumpered as the primary slave. I also have a CDWriter
(Samsung SW-212B) on the secondary master. When FreeBSD Boots up it throws
out an error while identifying the DVDROM Drive as ATA Device Identification
Retries Exceeded. If i change the places of the DVDROM and cdwriter then the
dvdrom works fine but the same error occurs for the cdwriter which is now
primary slave. The firmware of the DVDROM is updated to the latest release
and so in the MotherBoard BIOS (Fujitsu-siemens D1184). All the drives works
fine in Windows as well as NetBSD and Linux. I would be very grateful to
anyone who would please guide to get all my drives working under FreeBSD.
Thanks
Subhro Sankha Kar