Booting CDROM of FreeBSD 5.0

Gerald S. Stoller gs_stoller at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 2 22:06:32 PDT 2003

       I purchased the book "The Complete Reference  FreeBSD " (published by
McGraw Hill Osborne) which contained a  CDROM  of  FreeBSD 5.0 .  I read a
few of the text files on it and then tried to boot it.  Shortly after
starting this, it wrote (to the screen) "
CD loader 1.01

Building the boot loader arguments
Relocating the loader and the BTX
", then there was a pause of about 15 minutes and then it wrote (to the
screen) "
Starting the BTX loader
".  I waited another 35 minutes and nothing else happened, though the
hard-disk light seemed to be on all this time (50 minutes).  Anyone know
what is going on?  Is this a bad boot loader or a bad  CDROM , or a poorly
designed  CDROM? (it takes this long and longer, and it gives you no
comments to warn you about the length of time needed)?