Soundcard config issue

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Sat Oct 11 11:29:06 PDT 2003

On Saturday 11 October 2003 11:01 am, andy at neu.net wrote:
> I recently installed 5.1 release in a box that has a Creative Labs
> model # CT4810 soundcard.  I believe this card is sold as Sound
> Blaster PCI, which is supported according to the pcm(4) man page.
> The following line is from dmesg output:
> pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 9.0 (no driver attached)
>
> What does this mean, how can I configure it?  Detailed instructions
> would be really appreciated.  Thanks in advance...

That means you didn't configure your kernel. You don't get detailed
instructions on doing that because they are already available in the
Handbook as Chapter 9. You also need to become familiar with Chapter
21, which is called the Cutting Edge. You have to be able to rebuild
your world and kernel, and then install them. The steps of cvsuping and
doing the makes are covered in the Cutting Edge. The Handbook is a
reference but /usr/src/UPDATING is the authority. If there is a
difference in procedure between Handbook and UPDATING, you use
UPDATING.

You need "device pcm" added to your kernel config file. Then, you have
to make the kernel and install it. You are using a release and may not
have installed sources. There have been fixes added to cvs
tag=RELENG_5_! but tag=. is a better choice until they release 5.2.

Until they release 5.2, -curent is the real list for 5.x questions. I
don't think it matters where a question about sound is sent. I have a
number of CT-4810's. They really think they are an Ensoniq - 1471 or
something close.

> Please reply to this address as well as the list

That is usually done in my case. If you reply to only the list, it
doesn't popup in the box I have for replies and may not see it.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA