php4...

Melvyn Sopacua freebsd-questions at webteckies.org
Sun Nov 30 12:49:02 PST 2003

On Sunday 30 November 2003 21:13, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 01:40:07PM +0100, Melvyn Sopacua wrote:
> > On Sunday 30 November 2003 08:54, Gary Kline wrote:
> > > 	Another look at the php4  build clued me in.  It was a
> > > 	one-line hack to the Makefile... .
> >
> > You shouldn't hack the Makefile, cause now you have both www/mod_php4 and
> > lang/php4 installed and screwed up dependencies.
> >
> > You should uninstall www/mod_php4 (just force it). Then install
> > lang/php4.
> >
> > The lang/php4 port will check for the existence of an apache installation
> > and install the apache module (which is www/mod_php4) accordingly.
>
> 	Thanks for your help.  Last May when I first started working
> 	with php another genteman said to forget lang/php4 and
> 	just install mod_php4.  This worked for awhile.  Now that
> 	I'm trying to merge php with mysql || postresql, things are
> 	more complcated.

If somebody tells you to 'forget about something', the next question should be
'why?' :).

www/mod_php4:		ONLY the apache module.
www/php4-cgi:		ONLY the CGI module
lang/mod_php4-cli:	ONLY the Command Line Interface

lang/php4:		By default the CLI module and if 'apxs' is found
			it  will install the apache module as well.

Since you now need both the CLI as well as the apache module, you should
uninstall www/mod_php4 and install lang/php4.

As a side note:
Having a php-cli available for cronjobs is *very* convenient, that's why I
always go with that port even when I've got no immediate use for it. Last
time I checked www/phpgroupware requires it for cleanups and sending out
alerts. Additionally you can run the test suite:
cd /usr/ports/lang/php4 && make test

which will identify possible problems in your setup.
--
Melvyn

FreeBSD sarevok.webteckies.org 5.2-BETA FreeBSD 5.2-BETA #1: Sat Nov 29
00:15:33 CET 2003     root at sarevok.webteckies.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/
SAREVOK_NOFW_DBG  i386