Big problem with Compaq 5i RAID controller....

Erin Fortenberry efortenb at sdccd.cc.ca.us
Mon Nov 17 11:03:04 PST 2003

We are using FreeBSD 4.8R on Compaq DL380-G3's with the built on 5i RAID
controllers.

These machines are under heavy load with our anti-spam software (based on
SpammAssassin).

What is going on is, every few days one of the servers (which ever is under
the most load) just stops responding. I am not getting any kernel panics nor
is there anything in the logs to tell me what is going on. I have left top
running and it will stay running when the other consoles become
unresponsive. This leads me to believe that the RAID controller is going out
to lunch.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get around this problem?

Thanks,

Erin Fortenberry