Changing a company from 100% Windows to 100% FreeBSD.

Lee Mx lee_ver_mx at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 10:47:55 PST 2003

>From: Alex de Kruijff <freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl>
>To: Lee Mx <lee_ver_mx at hotmail.com>
>CC: questions at freebsd.org
>Subject: Re: Changing a company from 100% Windows to 100% FreeBSD.
>Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:32:23 +0100
>
>On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 06:27:25AM -0800, Lee Mx wrote:
> > I am switching about 40 desktop's running different versions of
> > windows over to freebsd.  One of the primary requirements is
> > OpenOffice-1.1 and I've always run it locally on my laptop.
> > I'm considering running it over the LAN which would mean that
> > I suppose that I would NFS mount the binary and do the network
> > install.  Could someone who has done this tell me if they
> > recommend running it on the network or if it would be better to
> > just install it on each of the 40 machines.  This company and
> > every user, uses Office daily, especially excel.
>
>Running it over the network should be posible. It does come at a
>high performance cost. The local hard disk has a much higher respond
>rate. Personaly, i would go for the independed workstation.

Yes, Alex, I think you are probably right.  Although the LAN is
always a temptation :-).

> > Also if anyone has any other suggestions that would simplify
> > anything in the chain from the initial installation to periodic
> > upgrading, it would be highly appreciated.
>
>I'm not sure if you looking for this, but you may wanna read this:
>http://www.infrastructures.org/ - Its all about how to effienctly manage

Looks interesting.  It's not exactly what I had in mind but worth
a read for sure.

>you enterprise cluster. Its quite a bit of work to setup at first and
>saves you lots of work later.

Sounds like most everything that we do ;-)

> > I'm planning on having a central server that will be cvsuping
> > updated sources and ports daily, making world and portupgrade
> > -Rruap periodically.  I plan to NFS mount /usr/ports and not
> > have local copies to not have to update them. I'm thinking that
> > I could then, fairly easily upgrade the other machines by just
> > installing the packages when needed.  It could also serve as a
> > local repository for updating the operating system or I suppose
> > that I could also NFS mount /usr/src and /usr/obj and do an
> > installworld to upgrade, too.  Again any opinions, observations
> > or suggestion are highly appreciated.  I've never changed
> > 100% to FreeBSD before :-)
>
>This would mean that you have to manage every workstation manualy. If
>there all alike you could just configure one and let the other
>synchonise themselfs. You may wanna have a look at the port rsync.

I've thought about that but I thinking of automating the portupgrade
process rather than having to find all the --exclude's for rsync but
that could surely change.

Thanks for your suggestions and the link.

ed