Cups?

Derrick Ryalls ryallsd at datasphereweb.com
Fri Nov 14 09:14:38 PST 2003

> Do most people use Cups (out of ports) for printing? I can't
> get it to start. I get an error saying it died with an error
> of 2 "Child exited with status 2!".
>
> Any ideas?

Not familiar with that error code, what do the logs say?
(/var/log/cups/errors_log or something).

Cups is meant to replace the system lpr binaries, so make sure the system
ones are not being used:

%which lpr
Should not return a pointer to /usr/sbin (or is it bin), but should point to
/usr/local/sbin.

You could also try using apsfilter, a very good printing system that uses
the native lpr stuff.

HTH, not enough sleep and too much coffee...