Disklabel problem IBM SCSI3 disks, vinum too

Bob Collins freebsd at anything-inc.com
Fri Nov 14 08:54:26 PST 2003

Running FBSD 4.9 on an Intel SMP mobo w/ 2 Intel PII 350s. Onboard SCSI is
recognized and sees all my drives. One SCSI 3 drive is 4.5G for the OS and
/usr. I have 4 identical IBM SCSI3 disks 9G each, however one of those 4
will not disklabel. The other three will. This leads to troubles then,
obviously, to setting the 4 drives for vinum use. Was using these 4 drives
on 5.0-RELEASE with vinum previously no troubles....downgraded for some
backup software (bacula) compatibility reasons.

In dmesg, da1, da2, da3, da4 all show as identical drives, model number,
capacity, etc. I have not removed the drive to see if there is a special
jumper to protect such things, I shall do this later today.

When I try to `disklabel -e da4', I get the info open, I can change
whatever I like, then when I save the file it complains; that the device
does not support this feature. The other 3 drives all did `disklabel -e
dax' with no trouble.

One note, when I `disklabel -e da4' (the drive in question) it has Name:
"DNES something" and for Label: "IBM"? The other 3 did not have this.....

TIA
Bob