Backing up kernel before upgrade - 4.9 - how?

Toomas Aas toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee
Thu Nov 6 11:21:22 PST 2003

Hi!

> In order to have a "safety belt" I'd like to backup my current kernel
> before upgrading (i.e. "make installkernel") my newly compiled kernel.
>
> Which files do I need to back up?
>
> I thought about
>
> /kernel (file)
> /modules (directory)

Running make installkernel backs up your current /kernel as /kernel.old
and /modules as /modules.old. The previous *.old is removed, so if you
want to preserve *these*, you'll need to do it manually.
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* One can never know for sure what a deserted area looks like.