wake-on-lan support? (WOL)

Q q_dolan at yahoo.com.au
Sun Nov 2 17:37:47 PST 2003

This is mostly true, but the NIC driver also needs to ensure that it
leaves this feature enabled after it has reset the hardware and set it
up to it's liking. If the driver doesn't have WOL awareness the feature
will more likely be disabled during the attach phase of loading the
driver.  Using "On Now" as opposed to WakeOnLan however, must be enabled
by the driver because the NIC uses a packet mask with user configured
contents to wake up, which can't be set in the BIOS.

I think the main reason for the lack of support is that this technology
isn't very useful from a server perspective, and is intended more for
managing desktops and embedded systems, rather than the 24x7 uptime
tasks that FreeBSD is normally employed for.

Seeya...Q