wake-on-lan support? (WOL)

Alexander Mayer mayerale at weihenstephan.org
Sat Nov 1 15:23:48 PST 2003

Hi,

Alexander Kühn wrote:

> powered down. You need to enable it in the PC bios and for some NICs
> also in the NIC's BIOS as well (e.g. RTL 8139) using a NIC specific
> tool

But most drivers in Linux disable WOL per default (on the NIC). It's a
common problem: WOL works if I boot into Windows then shutdown. When I
shutdown from Linux the PC doesn't wake up. Only a few drivers in Linux
2.4.x (vanilla) provide a kernel option like "enable_wol=1", usually
you need a kernel patch (if you can find one).

Are there similar problems on FreeBSD?

Thanks,
Alex