Apache+mod_ssl

Peter Elsner peter at servplex.com
Wed May 28 09:35:56 PDT 2003

Thanks Mark,

Along with a private response from Raphaël Marmier, who told me
that I should run: apachectl startssl (instead of the apachectl start I
normally run),

I discovered that there was an httpsdctl program in the same directory as
apachectl.  After generating my key(s) and certificates (I signed them
myself),
I ran httpsdctl start and httpsd started...  A quick ps ax | grep 'http'
showed both httpd and httpsd running...

I quickly checked to make sure my current web pages still worked, and
they did.  Then I went to /usr/local/etc/apache and modified the
httpsd.conf file accordingly...  Restarted httpsd and put in a
quick and dirty index.html file (all it says is this is a secure page), into
the directory (that I defined in httpsd.conf).

Then went to my browser, and typed in: https://www.myserver.com

Instead of getting the index.html page I got, I got a page not found.

So I went to look at the log files...  Nothing... The log files for https
are empty, (nothing in error.log or access.log).  So I went to the
original log files and checked them... Nothing.

I'm not getting any error messages, and httpsd is running.
but the web pages aren't coming up either...

BTW: httpsdctl configtest shows that the httpsd.conf file is
okay.

If anyone has any more insight into this, I would much appreciate it.

Thanks again,

Peter

At 09:06 AM 5/28/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>I seem to recall that installing (a)apache13+mod_ssl alongside
>(b)apache13 caused some messed up situation where the (a) filenames are
>different (eg. the httpd binary is named apache and the httpd.conf file
>is named apache.conf) apparently to avoid overwriting (b) files. I
>highly recommend removing apache13 if installing apache13+mod_ssl.
>
>To merge configurations, I often turn to a X app called xxdiff, which
>let's you do the httpd.conf merge interactively.
>
>On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 09:01, Peter Elsner wrote:
> > This might seem like a stupid question, but here goes...
> >
> > I have Apache 1.3 running on my system.  It's running fine and has been
> for
> > several years.
> >
> > I find that I'm in need of also have a secure https session (as well as my
> > regular web sites).
> > So I set out to learn about Apache13+mod_ssl.  There are tons of documents
> > available, and
>[snip]
>--
>-mdf [Mark D. Foster]   http://mark.foster.cc/

Peter Elsner <peter at servplex.com>
Vice President Of Customer Service (And System Administrator)
1835 S. Carrier Parkway
Grand Prairie, Texas 75051
(972) 263-2080 - Voice
(972) 263-2082 - Fax
(972) 489-4838 - Cell Phone
(425) 988-8061 - eFax

I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's
too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry
that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say "Daddy, where
were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?"
-- Mike Godwin

Unix IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.
System Administration - It's a dirty job, but somebody said I had to do it.
If you receive something that says 'Send this to everyone you know,
pretend you don't know me.

Standard $500/message proofreading fee applies for UCE.