Vinum works great until reboot.

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Thu May 15 18:19:57 PDT 2003

On Thursday, 15 May 2003 at  9:18:59 +0200, Joachim Dagerot wrote:
> I have managed to create my volume, my plex (raid-5) and my disks.
> I have managed to initialize all the subdisks and the disks. (Took an
> eternity)
> I have managed to newfs the volume and then mount it.
> I have managed to copy a file into the newly created volume.
> I have added start_vinum="yes" in /etc/rc.conf
>
> BUT
>
> when I reboot the system everything is lost. Vinum doesn't know of any
> drives/plexes/volumes I configured, initialized and formatted.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Who knows?  I'd guess you have done something wrong.  Often people who
report things like that haven't read the man page (otherwise they'd
supply the information needed to solve the problem) and have put the
drives on the c partition.

> Please help, this is extremely frustrating and because of the hours
> it takes to initialize the sub-disks this can't be done with
> trial-error methodology! :)

It's also extremely frustrating to get problem reports without any
supporting evidence.  Take a look at the man page or
http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html and supply some
information.

Greg