access symlink in ftpd??

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 19 17:49:54 PDT 2003

Overlong lines.

On Friday, 20 June 2003 at 12:44:13 +0200, Andre wrote:
On Friday, 20 June 2003 at 12:45:27 +0200, Andre wrote:
On Friday, 20 June 2003 at 12:46:56 +0200, Andre wrote:
On Friday, 20 June 2003 at 12:46:59 +0200, Andre wrote:

Once is enough, and this time is 10 hours in the future.

> I have setup a FreeBSD box with Mysql,apache+mod_php for practical
> purposes, when i want to update the webpages on the FreeBSD machine
> i found it very hard to first use FTP to transfer the pages from my
> windows machine, and then SSH in to the FreeBSD machine and move the
> files to the documentroot.
>
> how do i do a symlink that points to the default ftpddir
> ( /usr/home/name ) ?

What's the problem?

 $ ln -s $documentroot ~

But that's not the real answer.  If you're using ftp, you're also
transferring your password in the clear.  After that, you don't need
ssh to access the machine; you've already compromised yourself.  I use
rsync for this purpose.  Here's the beginning of the script:

  #!/bin/sh
  #
  # Synchronize the web sites.
  #