Sony Digital Audio System

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Fri Jun 13 11:07:18 PDT 2003

Christopher Rosado wrote:

> On Friday 13 June 2003 07:31 am, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
>
>> Doesn't look like it has anything to do with artsd or KDE. It looks like
>> your kernel keeps panicing on boot.
>
> No.  He reports the panic happens during KDE startup, at the "Initializing
> peripherals stage."  Not a boot-up issue.

Ah. I see now that the kernel panic was caused by the artsd process.

>> In addition, while it's possible that adding the pcm device to your
>> kernel is what causes the kernel panics, I'm skeptical. I think it's
>> something else because the kernel doesn't panic right after or before it
>> detects the pcm device. It panics right after it detects cd0.
>
> We commented-out pcm and rebuilt his kernel; he's now able to start KDE
> without a kernel panic.  No sound though.  An issue with pcm||artsd + his
> hardware.

At least you've got it narrowed down to the pcm device.

>> Did you JUST add pcm support to the kernel? Or did you add a bunch of
>> other stuff at the same time? (looks like you need the usb audio stuff)
>
> It's a new installation, and a new kernel so he could have a usable
> desktop. I'll look into the USB audio; the lack of it may be causing it.

I saw usb audio (uaudio0) in the dmesg. That's why I mentioned it. See:

uaudio_add_selector: NOT IMPLEMENTED
uaudio0: ignored input endpoint of type adaptive
uaudio0: audio rev 1.00
pcm0: <USB Audio> on uaudio0

Doesn't look like it's getting installed/setup properly. But unfortunately,
I don't know how to fix it. Perhaps search google for usb audio troubleshooting
or something. Or identify the audio chipset and search google to see if anyone
else has gotten it working.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator