GNOME/CUPS printing.

K Anderson freebsduser at comcast.net
Mon Jul 14 10:13:30 PDT 2003

lewiz wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I know this is slightly off-topic (I've tried asking in #GNOME on
> FreeNode) but does anybody here use GNOME and CUPS for printing?  I've
> got my printers setup nicely from CUPS (I can print test pages, etc.)
> but when I try and print from GNOME they are not listed.  Some searching
> on Google Groups shows that this integration was planned, but I've been
> unable to determine if it's been done (an early post said it would
> probably be around for GNOME2.2) and how to use it.
>
>   Any help on getting GNOME to print to local CUPS printers would be
> great.  Thanks very much,
>
> -lewiz.

By chance do you have cups-lpr installed? Be sure you read the Makefile
and a couple of other files because you will needo to tell
/etc/make.conf to forever more not make the lp* stuff (that information
is in man make.conf) because cups has its own version of the lp* items.
Everytime  you makeworld you'll wipe it out.

If you do have it installed then  you may want to uninstall it then
reinstall a make world might have wiped it out.

 From there you should then be able to print.

In a few words: Works for me. :) (Well sort of, having some sort of
font/printer driver problem where certain fonts are squished together)

HTH