LSI Logic Megaraid ultra320 raid controller under freebsd5.1?

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Wed Jul 2 10:57:11 PDT 2003

Hi

The hardware notes do not list this under LSI Logic SCSI Raid
controllers.  However, the LSI Logic Fiber Controllers support says

"LSI Logic Fusion/MP architecture Fiber Channel           controllers
(mpt driver)
LSI FC909, FC929
LSI 53c1020, 53c1030
"

The marketing stuff (courtesy of googlegear.com) for the SCSI board
(LSI Logic MegaRAID SCSI 320-1 Single-Channel Ultra320 RAID Storage
Adapter) says:

"Designed around LSI Logics next-generation I/O technology -
Fusion-MPT- the MegaRAID SCSI 320-1 leverages a streamlined
firmware-level programming interface and advanced hardware designs to
offer unequalled I/O efficiency and performance. The MegaRAID SCSI
320-1 also incorporates a space-saving MD2 (low-profile PCI) form
factor, increasing available space, even in the most limited server and
workstation enclosures.    "

AND

"One single-channel LSI53C1020 Ultra320 SCSI controller
IA-64 ready
Intel GC80302 integrated I/O processor
64-bit, 66 MHz PCI
PCI 2.2 compliant
Integrated 64 MB ECC SDRAM cache memory
Advanced management and configuration utilities
Supports up to 40 logical drives per controller
Auto resume during array rebuild or reconstruction
Background initialization for Quick RAID 5 setup
FlexRAID®:
  Online capacity expansion
  Online RAID level migration
"

The keywords that match the Fiber Channel controllers  "Logic
Fusion/MP" matching "Fusion-MPT" and the controller chip "LSI 53c1020"
matching "LSI53C1020".  That makes it appear that the Fiber Controllers
came out first using this new Fusion stuff and then they came out with
some new Ultra320 controllers later on.  The controller chip is the
same on both so I would guess it would work.

Anyone have any experience with this or sister boards in the same
family under FreeBSD 5?

I am configuring a system that will eventually replace our FreeBSD 4
system.  They have to run in tandem for awhile and so I cannot just
reuse the stuff in the 4 server

Thanks
Chad