Messed up vinum volumes

feczo at fw.hu feczo at fw.hu
Wed Dec 24 04:40:21 PST 2003

Well, I realy need help with this ...

I had 2 volumes on my system. I have two identical 30Gb
hard disk, I made one 25G, and a 3G partiton both, and
created a 25G mirror volume, and a 6Gig concatenated
volume (used as /usr) from these with vinum. It has
operated very vell, since I wanted to install additional
2 drives (both identical 80G) but they already had data
on them (they were being operational in another machine as 2x80G
stripeset). Problem was .. I think .., that both the new
volumeset (2x80), and the old concatenated (2x3) were
being used under the same name : vol (/dev/vinum/vol).
Furthermore I have a small partition used as root partition
/dev/ad0sa1 128Mb on the original system, and
the /dev/ad2sa1 128Mb used as swap, so the rest
went for the vinum volumes.

When I added the 2 piece of 80G drive and started
the system with 4 physical drives in it, I got an
error, that all volumes except root partition has
errors, and kicked back to single user mode. I
fsck-ed the mirror volume (I guess it was wrong :(
but maybe not ... I only had one question, and said
yes to salvage) After that I wanted to check usr
and got IO error. It come to my mind that the old
and new volumes may have the same name, so I have
removed the 2 \"new\" drives, and had a quick look
on vinum list after started with the original 2
drives only and realized the following :

4 drives
D d1    state: up       /dev/ad0s1d     A:3007/3008MB 100%
D d3    state: up       /dev/ad0s1e     A:25428/25429MB 100%

D d2    state: up       /dev/ad2s1d     A:3007/3008MB 100%
D d4    state: up       /dev/ad2s1e     A:0/25429MB 0%
D vinumdrive0 state:referenced          A:0/0MB
D vinumdrive1 state:referenced          A:0/0MB
D *invalid*   state:referenced          A:0/0MB

2 volumes
V vol           state: down     Plexes: 1       Size: 149Gb
V mirror        state: down     Plexes: 2       Size:  24Gb

3 plexes
P vol.p0        S state: faulty Subdisks: 2     Size: 149G
P mirror.p0     C state: faulty Subdisks: 1     Size:  24G
P mirorr.p1     C state: faulty Subdisks: 1     Size:  24G

4 subdisks
S vol.p0.s0     state: crashed  D: vinumdrive0 Size: 74GB
S vol.p0.s1     state: crashed  D: vinumdrive1 Size: 74Gb
S mirror.p0.s0  state: crashed  D: *invalid*   Size: 24Gb
S mirror.p1.s0  state: stale    D: d4          Size: 24Gb

So vol seems to be complettly wrong, since it can not be
containing 74Gb subdisks, since the whole physical disk is
30Gb only. Mirror subdisks size is ok, but mirror is out of
sync no doubt, but I have absolutly no exeperience, whith
such a situation, so a more experienced, please help.

--
  _(_)_
 (_. o_)            F3CZ0

Ingyenes Szerver Hosting 2003. december 31-ig! bõvebben: http://ad.advert.hu/url.php?u=101

    Ingyenes (.hu) domain átregisztrálás + ingyenes fenntartás -> http://freeweb.hu

        (.hu) domain regisztráció + ingyenes fenntartás: 4.900Ft+Áfa! (2 évre)

SMSWEB: keress penzt a latogatoiddal! Garantalt bevetel -> http://freeweb.hu/smswebgyik.fw