File system checks on boot in spite of soft updates/ufs2

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Mon Dec 8 19:24:46 PST 2003

Hello,

On my laptop, on which I have been running FreeBSD 5/CURRENT for quite a
while, I have always had the problem that even though soft updates is
enabled, and UFS2 is used on the partition (I only have one - the root
partition), I still need to wait for a full fsck when booting after a
crash/freeze/etc.

"mount" clearly states soft updates are enabled; though from the beginning it
was disabled due to a blunder of mine during initial installation.

dumpfs reports that UFS2 is indeed the fs used

The default value of background_fsck is YES in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, and it
is not overridden in /etc/rc.conf.

My kernel is compiled with soft updates support.

I am currently running 5.2-BETA, though I have had this problems at least
since 5.1-RELEASE.

During install I discarded the default partition layout and created my own. I
was careful to choose UFS2, though I forgot about soft updates.

Is there anything else that is needed in order to get fsck-less boots?

Thanks!

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org