Resolution problems in x and CLI

Thomas Lippert tlippert362 at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 7 11:02:13 PST 2003

on Dec 2003 22:03:14 -0800 (PST) Minnesota Slinky wrote:
>Hello all,
>I’ve got a couple of questions regarding resolutions.
>First, is there a way to increase/decrease the
>resolution of the CLI interface? I’ve got a laptop
>that only seems to use the center 1/3 of the screen,
>I’m thinking 640x480, where my native resolution is
>1024x768.
Personally i had to turn on the bios to what was called LCD
expansion doesn't effect the real resolution but it does
scale the display. I couldn't change the resolution of the
console, though it is in general possible.

>My next question refers to xfree86. Part of my log
>file seems to indicate X is running at 640x480, and
>another seems to indicate 1024x768. Is there a way I
>can test this for sure?
Try adding a modes "1024x768" under one of the color
depths sections and a default depth to point to that depth.