config(8) out of sync with source

paul beard paulbeard at mac.com
Wed Dec 3 20:29:14 PST 2003

On Dec 3, 2003, at 7:58 PM, William O'Higgins wrote:

> I hadn't used that method, because I was unsure of the results, and the
> procedure in the Handbook is more extensive than I had time for.
>
> My reticence was well founded, since when I followed the above
> procedure
> it rendered the computer non-bootable.

I doubt it's the procedure that had that effect: I've built kernels and
worlds on several machines (desktops and laptop) since 4.2 RELEASE and
I think I had one dud kernel in all the time.

I'm not sure how to interpret the comment that "the procedure in the
Handbook is more extensive than I had time for." It doesn't take any
time, really, unless you sit and watch the compiler messages streaming
past.

If you haven't tried this yet, I recommend following the Handbook
method with a GENERIC kernel and see how that goes. That should give
you a kernel remarkably similar to the one you installed initially. If
that works, you can rest assured the procedure is sound, and it's the
configuration that needs tweaking.

--
Paul Beard
<paulbeard.no-ip.org/movabletype/>