config(8) out of sync with source

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at northnetworks.ca
Wed Dec 3 20:18:46 PST 2003

> >Did you follow the procedure out of the handbook?
> >
> ># cvsup
> ># make buildworld
> ># cd /usr/src
> ># make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
> ># make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
> ># make installworld
>
> I hadn't used that method, because I was unsure of the results, and the
> procedure in the Handbook is more extensive than I had time for.
>
> My reticence was well founded, since when I followed the above procedure
> it rendered the computer non-bootable.

The above was not meant to be a step-by-step procedure. It was a brief
summary of what you should have found in the handbook. I was questioning
if this was the general process you used.

Not by coincidence, the above is what I use to upgrade my boxen, again
the general procedure is buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel and
installworld.

Of course, time should always be set aside before your first upgrade
attempt.

Steve

--

Steve Bertrand