size of rpc.statd process

DG david at fielden.com.au
Mon Dec 1 15:06:27 PST 2003

Greetings,

I have a 5.1-RELEASE installation running as a NFS server for a Linux client
and another FreeBSD client.  I haven't done anything unusual that I am aware
of when setupping the share, however looking at the output from top shows
the following for rpc.statd:

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
  359 root      96    0   257M    80K select   0:01  0.00%  0.00% rpc.statd

The SIZE is 257M (this is on a maching with 128M RAM and 1G swap) - that
seems rather high.  The handbook says that it could occupy a lot of memory
with a lot of clients, but for only 2 clients?

Is this of concern and, if so, how would I correct it?

Thanx

Dave