ejecting a Zip disk using eject(1)

DG david at fielden.com.au
Mon Dec 1 17:45:04 PST 2003

This site:

http://www.vmunix.com/mark/FreeBSD/ZIP-FAQ.html

contains some info about using Zip drives and disks with FreeBSD.

Altho I haven't tried a Zip disk formatted with ufs or ffs, I have tried one
formatted with ext2fs, one with msdosfs, and also one I have been writing a
raw tarball to (tar cvf /dev/afd0 ...) - none will eject using eject(1).

The eject button on the front of the drive works as expected, allowing a Zip
disk to be ejected provided it is not mounted, which makes me think that the
eject(1) command simply does not recognise or support IDE Zip drives.

Dave