Using DVD for backups?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Apr 24 11:32:29 PDT 2003

Ivan Fetch wrote:
> Hello,
>    I'd like to start using a DVD drive for backups on a FreeBSD
> 5.0-Release machine.  I'm curious whether others out there already do
> this, and have particular recommendations for DVD drives known to work?
> My hope was that I could use the "IDE SCSI emulation" pat of the cam
> driver and use cdrecord with the DVD drive as well.

Already done this.  Works well.  See this page for info:
http://www.whiterose.net/~mrpink/freebsd/dvdr.php
I used the same Pioneer DVD burner he did.  Also, used the same version
of DVD-Record as he lists in the article.  I was unable to get the
newer version to work.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies