"/etc/master.passwd: corrupted entry" error message

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Apr 23 11:49:49 PDT 2003

abdul wrote:
> Hi all
> I use FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE
>
> I sometimes get the following error when I issue "passwd user" command as
> root:
>
> "passwd: /etc/master.passwd: corrupted entry
> passwd: /etc/master.passwd: unchanged"
>
> Can someone pls explain why I sometimes get this error message and the way
> aroung it?

Because your master.passwd file is corrupt?
I wouldn't suggest you simply post it to the newsgroups (unless you carefully
remove all the encrypted passwords first) but it's rather difficult to see
what's corrupt in your master.passwd file without _seeing_ the file.
Have reviewed the file to see if anything looks out of sorts?  You could
use vipw(8) or simply open it in your favorite editor.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies