mouse wheel problems

Chris Moline cmoline at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 22 14:41:49 PDT 2003

hi. i am having some problems with getting my mouse wheels to work.

i had it working with my old mouse (a wireless optical logitech mouse).
but that mouse started having problems so i got a new one. the new one
is a cheap, generic mouse. i did have the wheel on the old logitech
mouse working but it doesnt work anymore. the wheel on the new generic
mouse doesnt work either. both mice work on my friends windows box. both
mice work on my bsd box (except for the wheels).

i am running XFree86-4.2.0_1,1. here is the relevant part of
/etc/X11/XF86Config

    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "Protocol"      "auto"
    Option      "Device"        "/dev/sysmouse"
    Option      "Buttons"       "5"
    Option      "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5"

here is my moused command for the old logitech mouse

moused -t auto -p /dev/psm0 -z 4

and here is my moused command for the new generic mouse (its really
pokey and so needs some help).

moused -t auto -p /dev/psm0 -z 4 -r high -a 2

running imwheel -p for both mice doesnt help either.

here is what moused -i all -p /dev/psm0 reports for my new generic mouse

/dev/psm0 ps/2 sysmouse MouseMan+

here is what moused -i all -p /dev/psm0 reports for my old logitech
mouse.

/dev/psm0 ps/2 sysmouse MouseMan+

it would seem that they both use the same protocol.

and here is what /var/log/XFree86.0.log has to say about both of my mice
(the logs for each session with a different mouse were the same)

(**) Option "Protocol" "auto"
(**) Mouse1: Protocol: "auto"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Mouse1: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
(**) Option "Buttons" "5"
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Mouse1: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Mouse1: Buttons: 5
(II) Keyboard "Keyboard1" handled by legacy driver
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse1" (type: MOUSE)
(II) Mouse1: SetupAuto: hw.iftype is 4, hw.model is 0
(II) Mouse1: SetupAuto: protocol is SysMouse
(**) Option "BaudRate" "1200"

and here is what it says for both mice after trying to use /dev/psm0
directly (i had to change /dev/psm0 permissions).

(**) Option "Protocol" "auto"
(**) Mouse1: Protocol: "auto"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Mouse1: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psm0"
(**) Option "Buttons" "5"
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Mouse1: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Mouse1: Buttons: 5
(II) Keyboard "Keyboard1" handled by legacy driver
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse1" (type: MOUSE)
(II) Mouse1: SetupAuto: hw.iftype is 3, hw.model is 7
(II) Mouse1: SetupAuto: protocol is SysMouse
(**) Option "BaudRate" "1200"
(WW) fcntl(6, F_SETOWN): Inappropriate ioctl for device

what are some other reasons a mouse wheel wont work? i can see that
maybe the new generic mouse isnt supported but then why would my old
logitech mouse no longer work when it was working before?

sincerly,
chris moline