MBR, Partition File recover

Siegbert Baude Siegbert.Baude at gmx.de
Wed Apr 16 02:52:11 PDT 2003

Hi David,

Josh explained the gpart method perfectly, this tool once did a great
job for my friend's disk, too. :-)
To make things less complicated in cases of future disaster, just keep a
printout of your partition table in a safe place.

> Before i do this, is there a way of making a complete copy of the
> drive first? I can store it on another drive in the system. I've been
> going through dd man page, and searching on the net, but have not yet
> found a way of doing.

dd if=/dev/ad0 of=/dev/ad1 bs=128k

To backup your first hard disk to your second hard disk. The second one
of course must be at least as big as your first one.

Short annotation: bs=128k speeds up backup significantly for IDE disks.
For SCSI the best value with standard settings is bs=64k IIRC. To be
sure, search the archives, I'm sure that it was posted by Greg Lehey.

Ciao
Siegbert