sendmail woes

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Fri Apr 11 07:12:43 PDT 2003

On 2003-04-11 16:53, Brian Astill <bastill at adam.com.au> wrote:
> No huge delays - sendmail loads on boot as it should.  BUT I still
> can't get past my DSL modem :-(
>
> Note.  Mine is a private network and does not have a static IP no, so
> you could not resolve it, anyway.
> Q. Where could I go from here?  Obviously something is still "not right".

If you have a dynamic IP address, then you should set Sendmail up to
forward all outgoing mail to your ISP's mail gateway.  My ISP's mail
gateway is mail.otenet.gr and I have a dynamic IP dialup address.  All
outgoing mail is forwarded to mail.otenet.gr by adding the following in
my sendmail.mc file:

	define(`SMART_HOST', `mail.otenet.gr')

> I think there is a command that gives the name if you give the address
> and vice versa - but what IS that command?  Mind you, I'm not sure
> that is an issue.

You shouldn't need anything of the sort, unless you regularly use more
than one ISP.

- Giorgos