X11 printing problem

Stefan Farrenkopf sfarren at gwdg.de
Fri Apr 11 01:27:46 PDT 2003

Hi,

after I upgraded my ports with portupgrade -ra my system lost the ability
to print from x11 applications.

some information about my system:
4.8 release now
(but the printing was broken two days before the upgrade. My hope that the
upgrade of the base system will solve my problem did not became true :( )
X11 is XFree86-4.3.0,1
gnome2 Desktop, but KDE is also installed.

cups itself seems to work fine. I can print test pages from the Browser
interface to the daemon (:631). I can also print from x11 apps like Mozilla
or Mulberry into a file and sent this file from the command line to the
printer with success.
I switched debugging for the cupsd daemon on, but when I print from X11
nothing appears in the error.log file.

I did some searches with google and google groups and I looked at the cups
documentation, but I did not find any helpful information regarding my
problem.

Can you help me to solve my problem?

kind regards,
Stefan