Any fixes in work for py-setuptools for python 3.3+ ?

John Marino freebsd.contact at marino.st
Tue Dec 24 16:43:39 UTC 2013

On 12/24/2013 17:33, William Grzybowski wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 4:26 PM, John Marino <freebsd.contact at marino.st> wrote:
>> Recently, probably caused by recent changes to devel/py-setuptools,
>> around 6 ports broke all in the same way.  An example is below:

>> Is python@ aware and are these ports going to be restored?
>> I can provide a list of the broken ports I've seen so far if not.
>
> These are not port breakages.
>
> poudriere builds only one package per port, devel/py-setuptools builds
> py27-setuptools because python.27 is the default version.
>
> sysutils/brebis for instance, can only work for python 3.3+, it
> depends on setuptools but it cant build because setuptools was built
> for the default version.
>
> It was not a problem before in poudriere because setuptools was not a
> build dependency.

Are you telling me that it is impossible to provide these ports as
binary packages?  Personally, I see a regression because they were
building before.  Now they aren't (as you mention above).

The impact is that they will disappear from dports, because we don't
feature ports that can't have binary packages.  I'm sure there was a
good reason for the change that caused these ports not to build in
poudriere, but that change did cause damage.  I'm not in a position to
say if the tradeoff is worth it because I don't understand what was
gained (only what was lost).

John