python breaks some ports when built with pth

David Bruce Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 09:10:54 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have discovered that when python is built with pth it results in some ports
breaking.  This is (I'm sure) a result of the ports not handling the python
dependency properly.

The problems that I have found so far:
 - port does not link to -pth (e.g. textproc/py-libxml2)
 - port fails to link due to lack of -fPIC (e.g. www/mod_python3 [see below
for output])
 - *ports fail to build as pth.h cannot be found (do not have examples of this
but I can find some if wanted).

*I've found the easiest way to solve this problem is to remove the `#include
<pth.h>` line in Python.h (after it is installed).

Is there anyone handling these problems (or trying to eliminate the need for
pth) and should I file PR's for the above ports?

Regards,

David

P.S. I'm not subscribed to this list
P.P.S. www/mod_python3 output:

/usr/local/share/apr/build-1/libtool --silent --mode=link cc -o mod_python.la
-rpath /usr/local/libexec/apache22 -module -avoid-version    finfoobject.lo
hlistobject.lo hlist.lo filterobject.lo connobject.lo serverobject.lo util.lo
tableobject.lo requestobject.lo _apachemodule.lo mod_python.lo -Wl,--export-
dynamic -L/usr/local/lib/pth -lm
/usr/local/lib/python2.6/config/libpython2.6.a -lpth -lutil -lm

*** Warning: Linking the shared library mod_python.la against the
*** static library /usr/local/lib/python2.6/config/libpython2.6.a is not
portable!
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/python2.6/config/libpython2.6.a(abstract.o):
relocation R_X86_64_32 can not be used when making a shared object; recompile
with -fPIC
/usr/local/lib/python2.6/config/libpython2.6.a: could not read symbols: Bad
value
apxs:Error: Command failed with rc=65536