new to python/zope - installation woes

Geraint Edwards gedge-lists at yadn.org
Mon Jun 6 20:34:28 GMT 2005

Gerhard Schmidt <estartu at augusta.de> said
		(on Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 04:17:59PM +0200):
> On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 05:01:53PM +0100, Geraint Edwards wrote:
> > However, 'bar' never gets any logs - it all seems to go to
> > 	.../foo/log/...
> > and the logs don't get anything interesting in them when things
> > go horribly wrong (see later).
>
> Did you set different ports for both zope servers default is
> 8080. If both zope servers are configured for 8080 bar gets
> never started, because the port is allready used.

Yup - that's exactly what I'd done wrongly.  Good spot.

> try the bin/runzope script in your instance home. It prints the
> debug infomation to stdout. Is very usefull when debug startup problems.

That's a good tip - thanks.

> Thats a problem of your products. Product dependency are quite a
> pain in the ass. Ask your customer about this Products and install
> them in <instance_home>/Products.

That's what I've done - this is someone else's job to identify.

> Running Zope/Plone without inside knowlegde of Zope is not such
> a good Idea. You should spend some time and learn about Zope.

It seems to be running happily now.  I was being
over-optimistic/foolish/naive to rush in without more RTFM'ing.

Thanks again for all the advice.

--
Geraint A. Edwards (aka "Gedge")
gedge at yadn.org