new to python/zope - installation woes

Gerhard Schmidt estartu at augusta.de
Mon Jun 6 14:18:07 GMT 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 05:01:53PM +0100, Geraint Edwards wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a customer that wants to run their website on Plone,
> They've delivered me a *.zexp file and a products.zip file.  I
> just want to throw it on my 4_RELENG server - and forget about
> it.
>
> I installed Plone (and hence Zope and python!) from ports (you
> will soon deduce, if you haven't already, that I am new to all
> three!).  What follows is some feedback (meant as constructive
> criticism) from a someone who has acquired a big headache.
>
> Firstly, if you install the www/plone port, it installs
> www/zope, and the "critical" instructions for
> 	make instance [...]
> are scrolled into the ether and their importance is missed, and
> thus began my headache.  Your install might not scroll them off,
> but my ports database is full of bsdpan-* crud that fills my
> screen up with junk, so I don't necessarily realise that zope is
> installed (hey, plone is what I wanted, right?).
>
> Anyway, I scrolled back and found the zope instructions and ran
> 	make instance INSTANCENAME="foo"
> and	make instance INSTANCENAME="bar"
> because I want to test this in 'bar' before making things
> "production" in 'foo'.  I made the zope.conf files, too, setup
> rc.conf with:
> 	zope_enable="YES"
> 	zope_instances="/usr/local/www/Zope/foo /usr/local/www/Zope/bar"
> and ran "zope.sh start" - so far so good.
>
> However, 'bar' never gets any logs - it all seems to go to
> 	.../foo/log/...
> and the logs don't get anything interesting in them when things
> go horribly wrong (see later).

Did you set different ports for both zope servers default is
8080. If both zope servers are configured for 8080 bar gets
never started, because the port is allready used.

> After *much* playing with Apache to get it to proxy for zope,
> I was getting bitten by the annoying
> 	<base href="http://localhost:8080/
> I eventually found the *right* page to get it to work (there seem
> to be so many wrong pages with similar but partial information):
> 	http://www.zope.org/Members/4am/SiteAccess2/info
> Phew.
>
> I still don't understand how I seem to be able to access (and
> hence "manage") the top-level of zope, logged in as the 'bar'
> user (shouldn't 'bar's user only be able to manage *that
> instance*?).  Anyway...

> I popped the foo.zexp into the .../bar/import directory and
> http://.../manage didn't find it, so I moved it into the main
> .../import directory and it found it - I don't understand that at
> all - why have an instance import directory that doesn't find the
> files.  Anyway... I got this error:

All path settings are in zope.conf. Sounds like you have copied
zope.conf from one instance to the other and lost the right path
information for one instance.

I'm running mor the 15 zope instances on one Host. All created with
make instance.

> Site Error
>
> An error was encountered while publishing this resource.
>
> Error Type: ImportError
> Error Value: No module named CMFUserTrackTool.UserTrackTool
>
> Troubleshooting Suggestions
>
>     * The URL may be incorrect.
>     * The parameters passed to this resource may be incorrect.
>     * A resource that this resource relies on may be encountering an error.
>
> For more detailed information about the error, please refer to the error log.
>
> If the error persists please contact the site maintainer. Thank you for your patience.
>
> So, either I'd missing this product, or something is broken - or
> both.  The hunt for the CMFUserTrackTool began, which I
> eventually found (why are all the zope websites so poor at
> conveying useful information?  e.g. how to load product X, where
> to find product X) and extracted into the Products directory -
> restarted, and now my instance dies - with nothing in the logs.

try the bin/runzope script in your instance home. It prints the
debug infomation to stdout. Is very usefull when debug startup problems.

> The readme.txt in that directory says I need UserTrack first, but
> I cannot find it anywhere.  Either I've lost the ability to
> search the web, or there is some special zope-fu for getting the
> stuff you need.  It is apparent that I do not have zope-fu.

Thats a problem of your products. Product dependency are quite a
pain in the ass. Ask your customer about this Products and install
them in <instance_home>/Products.

> More long-winded reading/searching, and I discover that FreeBSD
> recommends setting the large stack size for Python, so I
> reinstall (make config) python, but that doesn't fix anything -
> that instance still dies - nothing in the logs.  I up the logging
> level to ALL, and still nothing more in the logs.
>
> I think I'll go to bed for an hour, and let my head rest.
>
> Am I alone in thinking that this is a lot harder than it should
> be?  That, or please (dear $deity!), tell me what I am missing?
>
> Any help appreciated.

Running Zope/Plone without inside knowlegde of Zope is not such
a good Idea. You should spend some time and learn about Zope.

Bye
	Estartu

Gerhard Schmidt    | Nick : estartu      IRC : Estartu  |
Fischbachweg 3     |                                    |  PGP Public Key
86856 Hiltenfingen | Privat: estartu at augusta.de         |   auf Anfrage/
Germany            |                                    |    on Request