Need help recovering from 6404 Raid controller failure

Barry Friedman friedman at www1.emax.ca
Wed Oct 21 13:35:10 UTC 2009

OS:  FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p2
Machine:  HP Proliant DL380G4
SCSI Raid Controller: 6404

The situation is that one disk of a raid5 array failed.  When the
machine boots, the controller tries to initiate a rebuild onto the spare
disk.  The machine boots and within a short time the system resets.
(This is the same problem that I had with this machine a while back,
however, reseating cards does not help)

I need to find out how to run the disk rebuild off line, i.e. what
software is required and what is the procedure.  HP only lists ACU
for Linux and windows systems.  What do you use with a FreeBSD machine?

Also,  if I can get access to another system is it possible to do an
image copy of the good disks so that I can get a backup before proceeding
with the rebuild?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
--
Barry Friedman
Emax Computer Systems Inc., 480 Tweedsmuir Ave., Ottawa, Ont. Canada K1Z 5N9