Trouble with HP Proliant DL145 G2

Kelly Lesperance kellyl at sysrq.ca
Wed Oct 25 06:40:48 PDT 2006

Hi Eugene,

> Hi, All!
>
> Some time ago I got a new HP Proliant DL 145 G2 with 2 SATA disks.
> During its first boot I saw that it doesn't support hardware array,
> but there was a message on the screen 'nVivia IDE RAID' or something
> like that and the next message was about having an array of 2 disks.
>
> So I was to involve using GMIRROR with my FreeBSD 6.1 box. And
> recently, after cold power off, one of its disks failed. So the fact
> of the matter is to find out, is there a hardware RAID 1 support or
> not and if not what is the messages shown above?

At first I thought the chipset (nForce Pro) used for the DL145 G2 supports
nVidia's RAID, but HP chose not to implement it.  HP doesn't list RAID
capability in any of the documentation, and I was never able to access a
utility to configure it.  Now that I research it a bit further, it seems
somewhat more complicated.

It looks as though nvRAID might be some kind of fake RAID, which is a kind
of quasi hardware/software RAID.  Basic functionality is incorporated into
the hardware, but other functions are performed by the driver.  You can find
some info here http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html#nvidia and here
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html#fakeraid.  It sounds as though
you'd be better served by implementing your own RAID rather than using the
nvRAID, which is fortunate, since nVidia hasn't released FreeBSD drivers
anyway.

Hope that helps,

Kelly Lesperance