PowerMac G5 quad-core, CPU A1 DIODE TEMP: 90.8 C (for example): How to handle? [Mac OS X behavior]

Mark Millard markmi at dsl-only.net
Tue Jan 20 08:02:05 UTC 2015

In addition to the below notes that I sent to Justin and Nathan I installed the Processors system preference pane (from CHUD 4.6.2) and did an experiment with turning off and on "Allow Nap" under Mac OS X 10.5.8 on the problematical G5 quad-core. I'll note that the whole time Mac OS X was keeping the RPM's near maximums so those are not much of a parameter set for this note.

With Allow Nap disabled the result for idle-conditions (well, Temperature Monitor running and the configuration's normal background activity going) was: the temperature gradually increased overall over 2hr+ and then started the temperature oscillation pattern once it reached something around around 88C (for the same core as before). No benchmarks or other loads added.

Reenabling Allow Nap lead to the temperature dropping and staying down (compared to reaching 88C). (This matches earlier results were Allow Nap was implicitly enabled and so idle-conditions did not get to such high temperatures.)

Earlier activity reports establish that Allow Nap is not sufficient to keep the processors/cores cool when they are under load (with the high RPM's always involved).

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net