PowerMac G5 quad-core, CPU A1 DIODE TEMP: 90.8 C (for example): How to handle? [Mac OS X behavior]

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 18 07:28:41 UTC 2015

Intel CPUs do the same thing these days. They do it without the OS assistance.

So maybe we need to add a thermal throttling module that inserts a
fixed number of HLT cycles with a timer, or something along those
lines, to try and enforce some form of processing duty cycle. (And
there'll be a minimum length to stay asleep regardless; as entering
sleep states does consume juice.)

-adrian