CURRENT on Mac Mini does not boot for a week...

Milan Obuch freebsd-ppc at dino.sk
Fri Dec 2 12:41:44 UTC 2011

On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 15:30:27 +0400
"Andrey V. Elsukov" <ae at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 02.12.2011 15:17, Milan Obuch wrote:
> > As partition map is rejected, root file system can't be mounted from
> > disk, but I can mount root file system from USB flash disk.
> >
> > Any idea here what could be wrong? Is this integrity check something
> > just freshly introduced in CURRENT? What does it check, actually?
> > Everything worked in 9 and still works in yesterday compiled
> > 9-PRERELEASE, it worked with 10-CURRENT up until a week (see at the
> > beginning of this message), but not after that point.
>
> Hi,
>
> i think it happened after r228061.
> And, probably, you have partition that overlaps APM boundaries.
> If you enable verbose boot mode you will see what is incorrect.
> As temporary solution you can disable integrity check with this loader
> tunable: kern.geom.part.check_integrity="0".
> It will be good if you send GEOM_PART' messages from verbose log,
> also output of `gpart list` will be helpful.

Thanks, that helped - boot -s produced clear hint:

GEOM_PART: partition 1 has start offset below first LBA: 11 < 64

I changed it so it looks like this

=>       64  195371504  ada0  APM  (93G)
         64     262144     1  freebsd  (128M)
     262208   52166656     2  apple-hfs  (24G)
   52428864       1600     3  apple-boot  (800k)
   52430464   10485760     4  freebsd-ufs  (5.0G)
   62916224       1600     5  apple-boot  (800k)
   62917824   10485760     6  freebsd-ufs  (5.0G)
   73403584   10485760     7  freebsd-swap  (5.0G)
   83889344  111482224     8  freebsd-ufs  (53G)

now, and it works again. First entry in table is actually just a
placeholder so no free area is here :) This map was initialized with
Disk Utility from Mac OS X, and for some reason when created four
partition there were four 128 MB free areas. I deleted all entries but
apple-hfs partition 2 and divided the disk the way I saw fit at the
time, and as the first free area was layed with beginning at sector 11
so I did it this way - I still now not that much about all the fine
details of this.

Anyway, this way I have three bootable systems, Apple's Mac OS X,
FreeBSD 9-PRERELEASE and FreeBSD 10-CURRENT with first being currently
the default system, FreeBSD 9-PRERELEASE being selectable from Apple's
OPT boot menu, just last one is not directly bootable from here - disk
image is show, but when selected, first freebsd-ufs partition is used
for kernel and root filesystem, so I can boot it now from Open firmware
console only, but it is not that bad, and some solution surely could be
found. I know I need to modify second apple-boot partition, but did not
yet get well into its details (I found something in the archive, so
hopefully it will not be that hard, again).

Regards,
Milan