Fwd: Re: powerpc64 status and request for testers

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Wed Feb 17 16:00:58 UTC 2010

Andreas Tobler wrote:

>> host imac {
>>    hardware ethernet 0:d:93:48:c2:86;
>>    filename "loader.ppc64";
>>    option root-path "/usr/netboot/powerpc64";
>
> There is no hard coding of directory names, ppc64 vs powerpc64 ?
>
> The exports options for your /usr/netboot/powerpc64 are similar to mine?
>
> /export/netboot/ppc64 -alldirs  192.168.225.60
/usr/netboot/powerpc64 -maproot=root <ip address>

You also don't need the server IP in option root-path -- you can see
diskless(7) for more info on that.
>>    next-server 10.0.1.37;
>> }
>>
>> Also, options SMP isn't in GENERIC, so you may want to add that for full
>> support of your machine.
>
> Added.
>
> Well, I had my problems building world on both powerpc and powerpc64.
>
> On powerpc I failed with some stuff in gdb, bfd_elf64_powerpc_vec
> unreferenced...
>
> Helped myself with make -i since I do not need gdb now.
It's possible I have broken building a 32-bit world, so thanks for
pointing that out.
> Then in powerpc64 I see the following:
>
> cc -O2 -pipe  -std=gnu99 -fstack-protector -Wsystem-headers -Werror
> -Wall -Wno-format-y2k -W -Wno-unused-parameter -Wstrict-prototypes
> -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wreturn-type -Wcast-qual
> -Wwrite-strings -Wswitch -Wshadow -Wcast-align -Wunused-parameter
> -Wchar-subscripts -Winline -Wnested-externs -Wredundant-decls
> -Wold-style-definition -Wno-pointer-sign  -o uathload uathload.o ar5523.o
> ar5523.o: file not recognized: File truncated
>
> I work around with make -i. The dangerous thing, I do not see if there
> are further errors...
That is very odd and should not happen. I'll look into it.

Also, you asked about memory above 2 GB. It should be recognized and
should work, but using DMA to that memory will likely fail in
interesting ways since some bus dma support bits are not yet implemented.
-Nathan