Fwd: Re: powerpc64 status and request for testers

Andreas Tobler andreast-list at fgznet.ch
Tue Feb 16 22:27:13 UTC 2010

Forwarding. Since I forgot to cc.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: powerpc64 status and request for testers
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:12:19 +0100
From: Andreas Tobler <andreast-list at fgznet.ch>
To: Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn at freebsd.org>

On 16.02.10 21:19, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
> Andreas Tobler wrote:
>> Hi Nathan,
>>
>> On 15.02.10 17:05, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
>>> I have been working on a full 64-bit PowerPC port of FreeBSD which is
>>> now mature enough that wider exposure and testing would be appreciated.
>>> It boots multiuser and most ports seem to just work, etc. Note that this
>>> is still very raw, however; building it remains tricky, and it may have
>>> fatal bugs resulting in data loss.
>>>
>>> Caveats:
>>> - Memory above 2 GB is not really supported yet, due to lack of IOMMU
>>> support or bounce buffers.
>>
>> Is more memory ignored or does it hurt operation?
>>
>>> Then set up a DHCP server for netbooting, turn on tftpd, and issue a
>>> command like boot enet:0,loader.ppc64 from open firmware on the target
>>> machine. If you give this code a try, please let me know the results.
>>
>> I have my issues here, though I do not know if ppc related or DHCP/TFTP.
>>
>> The target is a Dual 1.8Ghz G5, 2.5GB Memory.
>>
>> The build host is an i386 which eports the installation on
>> /exports/netboot/ppc64
>>
>> The tftpboot directory contains the loader.ppc64
>>
>> The dhcpd.conf looks like this:
>>
>> host bohrium {
>>       hardware ethernet 00:0a:95:bf:0f:de;
>>       fixed-address bohrium.andreas.nets;
>>       next-server 192.168.225.35;
>>       filename "loader.ppc64";
>>       option root-path "192.168.225.35:/export/netboot/ppc64";
>>   }
>>
>> I can issue the of boot command and I see that I can download the
>> loader.ppc64. It 'starts' with my build machines name etc.
>>
>> But then I get repeated messages like below:
>>
>> xmt1 timeout , STAT=00002086, Txlist.status=efbeadde:efbeadde
>>
>> a lot of lines after it says 'bootp: no reply'
>> and 'panic: arp: no response for 0.0.0.0'
>>
>> I had to manually type that down....
>>
>> Any idea? Is my tftp/dhcp crap? Or is my G5 not ready yet ;)
> I'm not sure what the problem is. My dhcpd.conf looks like this:
>
> host imac {
>    hardware ethernet 0:d:93:48:c2:86;
>    filename "loader.ppc64";
>    option root-path "/usr/netboot/powerpc64";

There is no hard coding of directory names, ppc64 vs powerpc64 ?

The exports options for your /usr/netboot/powerpc64 are similar to mine?

/export/netboot/ppc64 -alldirs  192.168.225.60

>    next-server 10.0.1.37;
> }
>
> Also, options SMP isn't in GENERIC, so you may want to add that for full
> support of your machine.

Added.

Well, I had my problems building world on both powerpc and powerpc64.

On powerpc I failed with some stuff in gdb, bfd_elf64_powerpc_vec
unreferenced...

Helped myself with make -i since I do not need gdb now.

Then in powerpc64 I see the following:

cc -O2 -pipe  -std=gnu99 -fstack-protector -Wsystem-headers -Werror
-Wall -Wno-format-y2k -W -Wno-unused-parameter -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wreturn-type -Wcast-qual
-Wwrite-strings -Wswitch -Wshadow -Wcast-align -Wunused-parameter
-Wchar-subscripts -Winline -Wnested-externs -Wredundant-decls
-Wold-style-definition -Wno-pointer-sign  -o uathload uathload.o ar5523.o
ar5523.o: file not recognized: File truncated

I work around with make -i. The dangerous thing, I do not see if there
are further errors...

I rebuild and retest.

Thx,
Andreas