powerpc64 status and request for testers

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Tue Feb 16 20:19:50 UTC 2010

Andreas Tobler wrote:
> Hi Nathan,
>
> On 15.02.10 17:05, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
>> I have been working on a full 64-bit PowerPC port of FreeBSD which is
>> now mature enough that wider exposure and testing would be appreciated.
>> It boots multiuser and most ports seem to just work, etc. Note that this
>> is still very raw, however; building it remains tricky, and it may have
>> fatal bugs resulting in data loss.
>>
>> Caveats:
>> - Memory above 2 GB is not really supported yet, due to lack of IOMMU
>> support or bounce buffers.
>
> Is more memory ignored or does it hurt operation?
>
>> Then set up a DHCP server for netbooting, turn on tftpd, and issue a
>> command like boot enet:0,loader.ppc64 from open firmware on the target
>> machine. If you give this code a try, please let me know the results.
>
> I have my issues here, though I do not know if ppc related or DHCP/TFTP.
>
> The target is a Dual 1.8Ghz G5, 2.5GB Memory.
>
> The build host is an i386 which eports the installation on
> /exports/netboot/ppc64
>
> The tftpboot directory contains the loader.ppc64
>
> The dhcpd.conf looks like this:
>
> host bohrium {
>      hardware ethernet 00:0a:95:bf:0f:de;
>      fixed-address bohrium.andreas.nets;
>      next-server 192.168.225.35;
>      filename "loader.ppc64";
>      option root-path "192.168.225.35:/export/netboot/ppc64";
>  }
>
> I can issue the of boot command and I see that I can download the
> loader.ppc64. It 'starts' with my build machines name etc.
>
> But then I get repeated messages like below:
>
> xmt1 timeout , STAT=00002086, Txlist.status=efbeadde:efbeadde
>
> a lot of lines after it says 'bootp: no reply'
> and 'panic: arp: no response for 0.0.0.0'
>
> I had to manually type that down....
>
> Any idea? Is my tftp/dhcp crap? Or is my G5 not ready yet ;)
I'm not sure what the problem is. My dhcpd.conf looks like this:

host imac {
  hardware ethernet 0:d:93:48:c2:86;
  filename "loader.ppc64";
  option root-path "/usr/netboot/powerpc64";
  next-server 10.0.1.37;
}

Also, options SMP isn't in GENERIC, so you may want to add that for full
support of your machine.
-Nathan